• P.O. Box 1894
  • Escondido, CA 92033-1894
  • Monday - Friday
  • 8AM PST – 5PM PST

Tax‑Time Resources for Your Organization

Tax season is upon us, and you’re probably beginning to think about what you and/or your finance team needs to do in order to file your organization’s annual return.

In general, organizations that are exempt from federal income tax are still required to file annual returns. However, there are a few exceptions to this. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides a detailed list of the types of organizations that are not required to file.

If you’re not one of those lucky organizations that are not required to file, don’t fret! Here are some resources that can help you determine what forms you need, as well as instructions on how to fill them out and complete your return.

Which Forms Do Exempt Organizations File? The form your organization needs to file typically depends on the organization’s financial activity. A good starting point, this chart can help you determine which form your organization needs.

Annual Exempt Organization Returns, Notices and Schedules This is an additional resource that can help you determine which form(s) you may need to file.

Forms and Instructions Once you’ve figured out which form(s) you need, find instructions for completing them thoroughly and accurately. This resource provides a list of every form along with instructions on how to fill each one out.

Not Sure When Your Returns Are Due? These due date tables can help you make sure you don’t miss an important deadline. You’ll need to have your organization’s tax year-end date handy.

Frequently Asked Questions Answers to 12 common questions that might arise during tax season, like “What happens if my form 990 is incomplete?” or “Is personal identifying information provided on an exempt organization return subject to public disclosure?”

If your organization does not currently hold a tax-exempt status but you feel it might qualify for one, view these frequently asked questions on how an organization might become tax-exempt.

Source: Internal Revenue Service